Every morning I’d wait in the kitchen with nervous anticipation, walking on eggshells and holding my breath. I was waiting for my son to come down the hall from his room and see his face. That’s all I needed; I could tell.
My whole day was dictated by my teenager’s mood.
On his bad days, we referred to him as ‘the eyebrow’, a furrowed shelf shading his green/grey eyes that made it clear he was angry, upset, struggling and not available for conversation (AKA steer clear!).
I felt horribly out of control as a recovering rescuer which triggered my anxiety and I’d try to ‘fix’ him. What’s worse, he and I triggered each other. Many days I’d be frustrated about something (it used to happen often) and upset his need for calm and he’d lash out at me.
It was exhausting.
As a highly expressive, emotionally based person, I felt invalidated and angry that I couldn’t have a bad day. Ironically, he felt the same way. We were trapped in a cycle of reaction, fueled by each other’s emotions and nowhere to let off the steam.
Be the thermostat not the thermometer.
When your teen’s emotions are overflowing, your primal instinct is to remove the discomfort. That emotional reaction has you both hijacked rather than a response where you’re available to listen and validate their feelings.
They need a safe place to process, not a conversation. You don’t need to fix or solve them.
Here’s the two keys to ending this pattern:
- Emotional boundaries. Owning your feelings without also trying to manage or own your teen’s lowers the expectation of yourself (because you can only ever manage your own feelings) to be more present for your teen. They burn through their emotional fuel faster and get to what’s underneath instead of remaining on fire.
- Emotional regulation. Effectively communicating your range of emotions without projecting them on anyone else, making it safe to be imperfect, shows your teen they can have feelings without being swallowed by them.
If you’re like me, you didn’t learn these things in your home which set us up to continue the struggle as parents despite your best efforts. The good news is you can start now.
These are just a few of the key topics I’m covering in The Empowered Parent Mastermind beginning October 4th. In this 8-week program I’ll walk you through powerful strategies and proven tools I’ve used myself and with clients over the last 14 years.
“I’m already not walking on eggshells, already enjoying him more, thankful and empowered” – Christine G. D.
“had the best day with my daughter! Even made food together! No arguments.. we smiled and laughed .. I’ll bank today as a full win day. feeling so optimistic.” – Kim P.
You ARE a good parent and you don’t have to feel alone or defeated. If you want to have a respectful, healthy relationship with your teen and create a life where open and honest conversations are the norm, register today and leave the frustration, anger and painful disconnection behind.
- Each Monday starting October 4th, you’ll get access to the pre-recorded module from a login portal on my website
- Weekly LIVE Q&As run at 4:30pmPT/7:30pmET on Thursdays beginning October 7th via Zoom so we can connect and I’ll walk you through the material
- You’ll be sent the recording of each Q&A session shortly after
- Be part of a safe and supportive, private community to continue the conversations and hear what’s working for other parents and get extra encouragement when you need it
- VIP Members get Voxer access (voice messaging app) with me for 8 weeks PLUS a 60min individual coaching session
- You get LIFETIME ACCESS to all the material so no matter what stage you’re at now, you can go at your own pace and jump back in if you need
- My program comes with a 100%, no questions asked guarantee so there’s no risk
- Both parents are welcome to participate under one email login
- Enrollment is limited to ensure you get the personalized attention you came for