Keeping The Zine In Your Zen
Just because our culture is touting more zen doesn’t mean it is the answer for everyone. Too much ‘ohm’ and you get a very vanilla, dimmed down life looking like you overdosed on Valium and Botox treatments while pretending to love your linen, Star Wars type toga. No thank you.
If you are looking for the zen version of trying to twist into a yoga pretzel pose while your monkey mind hacks away at meditation, good on you. I am pursuing a life of rich, ambitious experiences without the side effects of overwhelm and burnout. I want the version of balance that does not feel like just another task on my list long list. Only you know what the right prescription is for you. Let’s start by defining what balance even means in our lives. “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, WOW! What a ride!” What does your dream of balance look like? How does balance play out when you are the best version of yourself? This is like brain storming with no filter and no wrong answers. Write down a good-sized list and use the tips below to see what fits for you. Looking for more balance? Try these!
- set boundaries – say hello to NO!
- if you don’t love it, don’t do it
- get more sleep – at least seven hours makes a huge difference on your ability to stay focused and deal with stress
- plan your time and be disciplined in sticking to it
Need a little more zing? Start here!
- learn something new – sign up for a class or sport, try a new recipe
- read a book you have always wanted to – ten pages a day and you will cover a lot of ground in a year
- set a goal to accomplish a larger project – research and start planning your next big trip
- do something you love everyday – rock out to your favourite song, exercise, etc.
I am all about having more balance to mitigate my levels of stress and exhaustion, and I am getting better at implementing effective strategies to get it – eating healthy, regular exercise, not working after dinner or on weekends. I think there is a middle ground of balance that will have you feeling strong and more grounded, while ready to take on the class 5 rapids with the excitement of child on Christmas morning. Regardless of where you feel you are in the pursuit and definition of balance, the time to move forward and live yours is NOW! Keep your balance from becoming boring by putting some ZING in your Zen. Leave me a comment below and let me know what has worked for you in finding your unique version of balance in your life. Let’s put together tips we can all draw from right away!